Mar 31, 2007

RP: Letters, Part 2

If you have not read the first Letter, I suggest you do that first.

I'm always amazed at how a good night's sleep can put things into perspective. I woke up feeling much more centered about last night's events and if all goes well, this state will continue until I'm too far away to turn back. I wish I knew whether or not you had similar feelings when you left our lands. It would make feel far less weak-willed.

I promised you when I last wrote that I would tell you more about the members of the March, so that will be the focus of today's letter. I can't help feeling a little silly writing about this, but even if you don't ever read my letter, it will help me. Who knows if I even write these for you anymore? I've tried keeping a diary, but I'm less inclined to write to empty pages.

Their leader is a strong woman, which is hardly surprising. She dresses in the unassuming garb of a priest, but nothing could hide the fact that she is incredibly powerful. Her given name is Manari, and I am afraid I must admit I have forgotten the rest of it. Their names are all so strange to me, and it makes it hard to tell one from the other. This is not something I'll be able to get away with for long, however. I relate to her a great deal, which does surprise me, since at first we seemed so different. That is what caused me to trust her so quickly, I think. She is direct and open, which I respect. She is also one of the most intimidating women I have ever met, but I believe that will pass with time. Have you ever encountered someone you simply cannot make eye contact with, no matter how hard you try? She is such a woman. Perhaps her strength will be good for me.

She is followed everywhere she goes by a man named "simply" Drolgats with sandy-blonde hair and a floppy-brimmed hat. He appears to be her bodyguard, and spoke few words to me while we were together, though his actions were quite expressive. I do not think he trusts me. His eyes never left me when we were speaking, and when I shifted forms out of stress his hand went straight to the hilt of his sword. Of the group he was the least surprised to see me in my feline form, so I believe he has had experience with Druids before, though it seems to have done nothing to affect his opinion of me. If I were to guess, I'd say his taciturn ways border on rude to other humans, but given his role in the group I suppose I cannot blame him. I just hope he will warm to me soon. His loyalty to Manari is an admirable trait, though that is not all that draws me to him. He radiates hurt, though not in the traditional sense. Something is broken within him. There is no other way to explain it, and for your sake I hope you never meet someone with a similar affliction. The Druid in me is already fighting to try to fix him, though I know I cannot ask what has done this to him.

The last male in the group was an utter puzzle to me. I wish you had been here to meet him and tell me what sort of human he was. His name started with C and had far too many syllables for me to follow, and his last name was some version of "drake" or "dragon." He has dark hair, an eyepatch, and is followed by a red whelp. He also smells...off. There is something there that is unlike anything I have ever encountered in my few years in this land, and it bothers me. The others seem to trust him, however, so I assume there is no malignant origin for his scent. Though I seem to recall that his one exposed eye was tinted red...perhaps it was a trick of the light. Or, for all I know, red eyes are a rare but normal trait in humans. There is no way I can be sure, and I am not about to ask. He did not seem to have a particular opinion of me--if anything, he was bored of the entire encounter, and spent much of his time with his attention focused elsewhere. It was, in all honesty, very distracting. Perhaps he is more personable when not in a crowd. I hope so, because I am very interested in his whelpling. I was not aware it was possible to make them an animal companion.

The final member I met that day was a young human named Rastel Nikova. I think I remember her name best because she is the one I currently feel closest to. She spent much of the time we were together staring in genuine awe at my city, and I admit it was reassuring to see someone among their party who was unreserved. We spoke briefly after Manari and the men left for the Temple Gardens, and I liked what was said. She was not afraid to admit that she was overwhelmed by the situation, and was genuinely surprised that I should feel the same way. If I see her again soon I think I will offer her an actual tour of the city. Of all the members I have met, I believe she is the one I am likely to befriend first. She does not seem as wordly as the other members of her order, and that will be a strong common ground for us. I would like to have someone to learn beside on this journey.

I believe that is all I have to tell you for today. I need to go find Manari and inform her of my Archdruid's consent. I always feel so awkward when saying their names. Are there titles I should be using? Are they designated by rank? There is no one here I feel comfortable asking. Perhaps in the next few days I will become acquainted enough with one of the humans to risk broaching the subject. Until then, I'll just pray that I am not being rude.

Elune'adare. Is it wrong of me to be angry that you are not here for me?


1 comment:

Glo Paint said...

Yah, these are guildies. The premise is that I am an Emissary of the Cenarion Enclave to the Scarlet March. All the humans mentioned are members of the March.